Friday, October 19, 2007

Learning to learn

I´m going to admit what few people would - by nature, I´m a quitter.

I quit playing the viola in fifth grade because I wasn´t really that naturally talented nor did I appreciate the screeching sound of a poorly played instrument. In high school I quit running because, well, basically because I was a head-case. In Telluride I quit working at this one restaurant because I didn´t like the pressure of ´fine dining.´

Needless to say. I quit these things much later, and after much thought, than I originally felt the urge.

My inclination to do what´s easy was made pretty clear today as I sat to take a Spanish test in downtown Buenos Aires. Before starting Spanish lanugage school next Monday, Alex and I had to take a placement exam to determine which class level we would begin in.

At first, it was all laughs.

¨I don´t even know what subjunctive, preterite or imperfect verbs are in English,¨ I joked to Alex.

¨What´s the word for ´love´ again?¨ he asked in return.

¨Seriously, I don´t even know what this stupid test is asking. The directions are even in Spanish.¨ I was getting increasingly frustrated.

¨Whatever. I don´t even want to learn Spanish anyway,¨I said again, reiterating my irritation at feelings of stupidity.

Not true. I do indeed want to learn a foreign language. And I know it´s going to be difficult. I just didn´t imagine I´d get discouraged so easily. And really, I thought I knew more Spanish than I apparently do.

Dad told me after one of his pilgramages across Spain or France that knowing a second language is like having a second soul. That stuck with me and has served, in part, as inspiration to pursue travel abroad.

Needless to say, I haven´t done anything new or hard in a little while. Not like when I was in college and each semester I started something challenging and foreign. At least at first. And of course when I started at the newspaper I faced overwhelming feelings of inadequacy. So I should be perfectly suited to relate to those feelins all over again, right?. But I still don´t like them. No one does.

And no, I don´t actually plan on quitting. I just think about it. And maybe whine a little bit here and there. And so when Monday comes and I´m in a whole new classroom in a whole new part of the city with all new people, I know that if nothing else, I´m at least accountable to anyone who reads this blog. No matter what, I´ll return home knowing more about español, Argentina - and myself - than I did when I left.

JMH

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Making a choice is not always quitting, though often it may be hard to distinguish the two. Learning the difference can save you some guilt!

Peggy said...

Jo: Because of my English as a Second Language background, I related to your testing experience on Friday. By now, you have two days of class completed and I hope that it is going well. There is a term used in sociolinguistics, "anomie" that describes a sense of rootlessness or loss of cultural expectations/confustion of values, etc. when first studying a new language. Many people do quit at this point. Hang in. It will diminish. I'm anxious to hear more about the language learning. Love to Alex and you too.

Anonymous said...

Jo,

You quit your reporting job in Tahoe too. Just wanted to add that one to the list. But after reading the blog I have to say, all in all, that was a very good decision. Covering the TCPUD is fun .... but may come in as a close second to drinking vino tinto in Alpacaville. Glad you both are doing well. Pues mandeme un e-mail cuando tengas tiempo, y no te deseperes, el Español es una lengua fácil de aprender ... más que nada despues de varias copas de vino.

Bunker

Anonymous said...

Great work.