Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Anxiety from the other half

While Alex packs, or attempts to pack, in a manic flurry, I am overtaken by something called The Common Cold. Never all that good of a patient, I'm not looking forward to starting the second leg of this journey with a foggy mind. Airborne after Airborne it is.

Plagued only partly by a sore throat, stuffy nose and tired eyes, it's really the panic-days-of-old that set in to genuinely freak me out. I've traveled before, a fair share even, so what's the big deal? Is it the yearlong buildup to the, quote-unquote, "Trip of a Lifetime?" Or is my breathing restricted and my stomach churning because my traveling companion happens to also be my life companion? Are memories of the Venice, Italy hospital stay flashing back? Did I save enough money?

Yeah, it's these bigger picture anxieties that consume me, soon masked by the superficialities of creating the cutest outfits to travel in. Avoidance, I think they call that.

But if I actually take a moment and breathe, the high stress and anxiety is my version of excitement. A whole new city, a new country. Adventures await, even overthe next 12 hours. Whatever I forgot to pack or brought "just in case" no longer matters. And now it's just a matter of taking it all as it comes. And savoring it.

JMH

No comments: